Sunday, July 19, 2009

Space Fish

I had a few adventures this week, including Space Center Houston and fishing at Surfside Beach! I'm going to go ahead and count that as my "vacation" for the summer since I don't forsee my family and I deciding on somewhere to go on vacation (that's another story in itself).

Below are just a few pictures documenting our trips. I went with Sammi and her husband James and our friend Chris.

Sammi and I inside the Saturn V rocket viewing area. Yeah, this is our typical pose... it's what we do.


We all know of my (un)healthy obsession with celebrities, and it never fails that when I go somewhere out of the ordinary (like Space Center) I will see somebody famous. On this trip: Sherry Stringfield, a.k.a. Dr. Susan Lewis from ER. She wasn't very recognizable, which may be why there wasn't a swarm of fans surrounding her. So, the entire tram tour that we were on, Sammi and I "safely stalked" her, trying to figure out if it was indeed Sherry Stringfield. She was with her entire family and some friends, so I didn't really want to bother her with an autograph and a picture (any other occassion, you know I'd be all over a cheesy smile and rubbing elbows with someone from the television). Well, Chris and James got sick of us talking about it, so Chris finally went up to her and asked her if she was on ER. She, of course, said she was. So then I turn to her and say, "I knew it was you! I was just too chicken to say anything." Sherry (oh yes, we're on a first-name basis) BUSTED out laughing. Then we stood side-by-side and watched the launch of the space shuttle (we just happened to be at Space Center on that day... kinda cool, I think). So, we're pretty much old friends by now. :o)

After our celebrity conquest, Sammi and I decided we would commemorate the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11's landing on the Moon with a photo-op with Neil, Buzz, and Michael. Apparently, we went for the "shrug" pose in this one...
The next day we decided to go fishing down and Surfside Beach. Ok, let me preface this by saying: My name is Ashley White, and I'm a non-fisher. (That was your disclaimer, people.) So, you will notice that there really aren't any action shots of me below, and that's ok. You'll get the idea from the ones I've decided to post. :o)

His name is James Saunders, and not only can he catch fish, but he's a mean shark hunter too! Yes, he caught a baby shark. It was pretty awesome, I have to say.

Me with Sammi while she was fishing. I think, at this point, I kept losing my bait to greedy fish, and I felt bad for asking Sammi and Chris to put more bait on my hook, so I just observed the skill of everyone else.

Check out that skill. They all caught one fish (and don't forget about the baby shark).


And then there's me... sans fish. For a while, I was bound and determined to catch a fish, and then I finally realized... yeah, I don't fish. But it was still a fun time! :o)
-Ashley

No comments: