I'm at my parents' house right now, ready to ride out the storm. School districts all over Houston closed for today. In fact, yesterday during 5th period, I completely lost my mind and said to my kids, "So, since we don't have school tomorrow..." They were like, "WHAT?!?!" Oh no. What did I just do? Luckily, my kids know me pretty well, and they knew that if they went crazy, I would not be a happy camper. But after that, the rest of my classes were a little rowdy.
My neighbors are boarding up their windows right now. The news said the wind gusts are supposed to reach 85 mph. I'm getting a little worried, but I'm a little calmer now that I'm at home. My parents aren't going to board up the windows, but I'm not sure if they're not going to tape them up. My dad just went to Lowe's to get some more screws to reinforce our wooden fence pickets. He might get some tape while he's there.
I haven't been in a hurricane in a while. Not too long after we moved to Texas, Tropical Storm Allison came through and our neighborhood flooded big time. That was pretty much the last storm that I've experienced. When we lived in Baton Rouge, we survived Andrew's wrath. I still remember that like it was yesterday. My family and I played Uno the whole time (we were without electricity for a few days) and listened to the radio. My dog, Kate, stayed in her crate that was wedged between the cars in the carport. My dad would have to go outside several times to let her out to go to the bathroom... during a hurricane... with tree branches flying everywhere.
Thankfully, Amber and Abbey will get to come inside to hang out with us when the storm comes through. Abbey will probably pace the entire house during the storm, while Amber will probably sleep through it all. She's much more mellow than Abbey. It's quite funny.
The storm surge in Galveston is already REALLY high. It hasn't even started raining there, and the city is already flooded. A reporter on the news interviewed some people she came across there who are refusing to evacuate. They kept saying, "Yeah, we're just going to ride it out. It won't be that bad." Uhh, I'm thinking if the mayor issued a mandatory evacuation, you might want to listen! They were saying that anyone who doesn't listen to the advice and instructions of the mayors and judges will face "certain death." Whoa.
In other news, Katie called me last week and surprised me by asking me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding! I am so honored and excited!! And, she's going to be moving to the Houston area when she's married... possibly Katy! (You know I'm going to play up Katy, right Katie???? Haha!) I'll be so glad to have her close by again. I miss hanging out, drinking hot cocoa (even if it's not cold yet), and watching The Office. (Speaking of, when does the new season start??)
Well, I guess I should go get things ready for my good friend Ike when he comes to visit. Pray for us!
-Ashley



1 comment:
thank you for finally posting!!!!!!!!!!!! haha i felt like such a lamer for checking it with no updates. the office comes back september 25th and i can't wait. we are hunkering down as well in c-stat, watching jim on the weather channel because he's our fave. did you see the sign on tv "ike, tina's not here!"? pretty awesome. well i will talk to you laterrr!
Post a Comment