"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."
1 John 3:16-18
At my church we've been talking about becoming servants of Christ. I think this is something that I really struggle with as a Christian. Do I really serve? And I don't just mean volunteering. Serving is completely different from volunteering; in Scripture, God calls servants, not volunteers.
"The greatest among you will be your servant. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted."
Matthew 23:11-12
I think I do sometimes confuse volunteering with serving.
The pastor at my church calls servants "balcony people," like those people at a racetrack sitting in the balconies and cheering on the horses. He says that when you're with "balcony" people, they "fill your tank." God's plan for each of our lives is for us to be encouragers for others... the image of being "balcony people" is the perfect example of how we are to care for one another.
I have this huge hunger to care for people and encourage people. Although sometimes I feel like I'm not using that gift, the slightest thing we do can be encouraging. And that in itself is encouraging for me! I think maybe that's why I want to be a teacher. Part of the job is teaching, yet the major part is encouraging. I hope I can be a "balcony" person for my students.
Service has just been on my heart lately since we've been talking about it so much. I don't think I ever really realized how important being a servant is. So call me out if you see me not being a balcony person! :)
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 Thessalonians 5:11
-Ashley
4 years ago


1 comment:
Are you kidding me??? You have always been a HUGE servant and encouragement to me! I think that everyone who knows you would agree. Your cheerful and warm personality is reflective of the joy you have in Christ. That overflows in every part of your life! I think there are lots of different ways to serve. I think serving can be volunteering - if you're doing what you're doing because you love the people you're working with or you are doing it for Christ and His love for you.
All I know is - you serve. You encourage. You're my balcony person! :)
Post a Comment