Thursday, July 3, 2008

Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez

Wow, it's been quite a while since I've updated. The summer has been crazy busy recently, and I feel like I'm just now able to take a breath.


I had a wonderful time in New Orleans/Baton Rouge/McComb/Canton. We met up with my aunt and uncle who are from Oxford, MS in New Orleans and we had a blast. It felt like we walked all around the French Quarter about 4 times! My feet were so sore but it was totally worth it.
That's Aunt Frieda, Uncle "T", my dad, me, and my mom at Pat O'Brien's with hurricanes! Don't worry, my mom and I split one, and we didn't even finish it.





The famous Cafe Du Monde. We ate beignets here for breakfast one morning. It makes me miss living in Louisiana! I was covered in powdered sugar when it was all said and done.




We rode the street trolleys all around the Quarter. This is my aunt and my parents getting off the trolley before going to Harrah's.


The main reason we were in New Orleans was because my dad had some business meetings to go to. So while he was doing that, my mom and I headed to Mississippi. First we stopped in McComb to see my great-aunt Elouise (my grandmother's twin sister). We were actually there a couple of days after Jamie Lynn Spears had her baby at the McComb Hospital (the town was buzzing with paparazzi).




That's the hospital from a distance. I felt very... "Beverly Hills."



Aunt Elouise and me.


So after McComb, we headed up to Canton. My mom and I hadn't been there in several years (because there's really no point anymore since my grandparents have passed). The town square is still really quaint and small town-ish, so I thought I would take some interesting pictures to have printed in sepia to hang up in my room.




This is the Mosby home, a very prominent family in Canton. They own several businesses in town, and no one but a Mosby has ever lived in this house. It's actually been standing since the Civil War.



This is the Presbyterian church in town. My mom said it's one of the first churches, if not the first, to be built in Mississippi. I think it's beautiful.



This is the court house. If you've seen A Time to Kill, then you've seen the court house. They actually play old timey jazz music outside the court house so that when you walk around the square you can hear it. I felt like I had flashed back to the 1940s.


This is my attempt at being artsy.




This is part of the square. Isn't it cute? You can actually see a Mosby Drug Store on the far right.
It was really good to be back and to see Canton. It was exactly as I remembered it.
In other news, I went to my school on Monday with my mom and we started setting up my room. I know it's early, but one of the girls on my team called and said she was going to start getting things ready (she's also the math department chair) so I thought, "Why not?" It took me 2 hours to finally decide on a seating arrangement and how to position my desk, and I'll probably end up rearranging it before school starts. I got a few posters and some border from the teacher supply store, so I'm really excited to actually put it up on the walls.
Time to clean!
-Ashley

No comments: