Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Small Town Girls

This post is probably going to be the most random posting I've done thus far. So, just a warning.

Today, I didn't have to go to class until 11:15 because my instructor had an appointment of some sort. So I got to sleep in just a bit. However, I always feel like I'm "wasting the day" by sleeping in, so I still got up by 8:30.

It's almost August! And that means back to school shopping, hot weather (yuck!), and moving day! Only 19 more days for me... but who's counting? If you want the hour, minute, and second breakdown, let me know.

My mom and I rented Premonition last night. It was really good except it leaves a lot to the imagination. I guess that can be a good thing, but if you're like me, you want every question in your mind answered by the time the credits roll. But that's ok. I've been seeing a lot of movies like that this summer. I mean, seeing into the future-type movies. I know Deja Vu was one of them, and I'm totally blanking on the other. Oh wait! I just remembered. The Lake House. Another Sandra Bullock movie that I thought was awesome. She's one of my favorite actors.

I'm leaving Thursday right after I get out of my exam to go to Louisiana/Mississippi. My mom and I are driving and my dad's going to fly into Baton Rouge on Friday. Actually, we're driving straight through to Mississippi on Thursday to McComb to visit my great-aunt Elouise. I love her to death. She was my grandmother's ("Mama") twin sister. Well, I guess she still is, but Mama passed away 10 years ago (still can't believe that it's been that long already. I can remember the funeral like it was yesterday). But anyways, Aunt Elouise is hilarious. She's very outgoing and flighty; completely opposite of Mama, who was very reserved and smart as a whip.

So we're going to spend the night in McComb, and then, hopefully, on Friday we're going to drive up to Canton, MS, which is where my mom grew up and Mama and Papa lived. I haven't been there in probably six years. It's such a typical Mississippi small town complete with a town square as big as the Wal-Mart parking lot in College Station. I love it. Hopefully we do get to drive up there because I'd love to take some pictures and have them framed for my mom. If you've seen the movies A Time to Kill, O Brother Where Art Thou, and My Dog Skip, then you've seen Canton because they were all filmed there! For such a small town that no one's heard of, it sure has left it's mark.




That's the Canton courthouse that sits in the center of the downtown square. It's the easiest thing the recognize in the movies. A Time to Kill was filmed inside on some parts.

Then, we're going to drive to Baton Rouge to visit my family and friends there. I usually spend most of my time with my cousins. Tabitha is 20 and goes to LSU, Corey is 19 and is in the Navy, and Travis is 15 or 16 and is the funniest kid in the world! Corey and Travis are brothers. Tabitha has an older sister, Tiffinie, and older brother, Randy (a.k.a. Little Randy because he's the "jr.") and they're both married. I love hanging out with them because we always end up doing something spontaneous. The last time we were all together, Tabitha and I decided to dye our hair. She did her's this really pretty auburn/brown color, and I did mine a shade or two darker than it is now. Well, Corey and Travis show up in the midst of all the action. Corey's got blond-ish hair, so we decide to dye it the color we dyed mine! It was hystarical! My Aunt Deb (Corey's mom) couldn't stop laughing. If we put black eyeliner on him, he would've totally pulled off the goth look.

I think we're coming back Sunday. I haven't been there in over a year. We usually go every summer and every Thanksgiving. But this past Thanksgiving we decided to stay here, so it's so weird how long it's been.

Okay, well my stomach is really starting to growl. Mom and I are going to go to this sandwich place called Newk's. It's kind of like McAlister's (actually McAlister's is on the other side of the parking lot. Nothing like a little competition), but a little better actually. Yum-o!

Adios!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I think I forgot to tell you that I watched "O Brother Where Art Thou?" when I went to the farm. I completely forgot it was filmed in Canton. I will have to watch it again now!!!!!!

Hailey said...

I left a comment but I guess it didn't save...so sad! I think we should watch Top Chef tonight. Rocco DiSpirito is CALIENTE!! See you later!!