Thursday, June 12, 2008

Family Matters



I've been thinking a lot about big families recently. I, myself, come from a small nuclear family... I am the only child. None of my extended family lives here in Texas. My dad's side of the family is from Pennsylvania, but he has a brother that lives in Denver. I only know of his brother, sister, my 2 cousins, and my grandparents on his side of the family. So that's like, what, 6 people?

My mom's side of the family is a different story. Her family is from Mississippi. She grew up in a really small town, and I can pretty much say with confidence that I'm probably related, in some way or another, to every person in the town. Every time we would go visit, I would get introduced to some other relative. "Ashley, I'd like for you to meet your fourth cousin, thrice-removed times seven, Billy Bob." "Umm, hi?"

Most of my mom's family still lives in Mississippi, but a lot of them live in Louisiana too. In fact, we're going on a MS/LA trip in a couple of weeks.

But that still leaves us here in Texas. I hear people talk about going to see their grandparents for the weekend, or they're having dinner with their aunt and uncle, or their cousins are going shopping with them for a can opener. I don't know; it sounds silly, doesn't it? I've never had that luxury, and sometimes I resent that.

I've always said that when I get married, I don't want to have more than 2 children, and 1 would really be sufficient. But now I don't know. Being an only child has been somewhat difficult growing up. All of my parents' attention is always on me, and as "wonderful" as that might sound, it gets really annoying sometimes. My dad is constantly asking me, "What are you doing?" It's as if I can't not do anything. Like right now, I'm sitting in my room on my computer at 1:47 in the afternoon. And, do you know what? I'm perfectly content with sitting in my room by myself, doing nothing. These past few summers I've worked so hard, and it's been really stressful, so now I think I deserve a break. I think my parents are slowly starting to realize that I deserve this "break" before I hit the real world.

I promise, there's (somewhat of) a point to this post. I wish I had brothers and sisters. I know I've been truly blessed in life, and some of the things that have happened to me probably would not have been possible if I had brothers and sisters. But just imagining what my life would be like with siblings is really exciting! For once, the attention wouldn't constantly be on me, I would have life-long friends, and, for once, I would come from a big family.

So maybe I'm having a change of heart about what kind of family is in my future. Maybe I would like to have 3 or more children. I know it's in God's hands and whatever kind of family He blesses me with is going to be a full and happy family.

-Ashley

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh, Ashley!!!! I will be your sister!! :) I think you could pretty much be my sister.

Coming from a big family is nice, but I still get bored. Another bad thing is that you can get in fights with them and have them gang up on you. But I think that having siblings is better than none (not that I would know, but I can guess).

I'm with you - I think I would like three or more kids. I personally love the idea of adopting, but I don't know if that's what God would want for me. I am probably exactly on the fence about it. Either way I'd be happy.

I just love you. I really hope we live close one day and our kids can hang out. We'll pretend like we're sisters and my kids will call you Aunt Ashley. They'll never know that we aren't really related!!!